Skip to content

J-1 Scholars


The J-1 Exchange Visitor Program is administered by the U.S. Department of State's (DOS) Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs under the Mutual Educational and Cultural Exchange Act of 1961. The purpose of the Exchange Visitor Program is "to promote international educational and cultural exchange to develop mutual understanding between the people of the United States and other countries."

The Exchange Visitor program maybe be used to invite visiting faculty, postdoctoral or postgraduate fellows, and associates, as well as other temporary academic appointments to UC Merced. The DOS has designated UC Merced to serve as Program Sponsor, thereby enabling us to issue Form DS-2019, Certificate of Eligibility, to prospective Exchange Visitors. The Form DS-2019 is a required document when a scholar applies for a J-1 Visa at a U.S. Consulate or Embassy abroad. The information will assist you in determining if a foreign national is eligible for J-1 status at UC Merced.

UC Merced now requires export control review for all J-1 visa applicants. All sponsoring units must complete the required Visa Screening form and contact the UC Merced Export Controls office at prior to requesting a DS-2019 processing from OIA. Once certification of export control review is obtained, the Export Controls office will issue a certifying letter to the sponsoring units. Sponsoring units must include a copy of this letter with other DS-2019 request documents submitted to OIA.

To issue a DS-2019, the Office of International Affairs is required to confirm that each J-1 visitor will have funding to support their visit to the U.S. For information on OIA funding requirements.

All incoming J-1 exchange visitors must have sufficient English language competency and it must be demonstrated before a DS-2019 can be issued. For more information on the English language competency, click here.

J-1 Categories & Eligibility Criteria J-1 Status Request Documents
Recharge Fees Timelines
Extensions Host Department Responsibilities
12- and 24-Month Bars Two-Year Home Residency Requirement
English Proficiency Requirement Off-Campus Payment/Reimbursement Authorization