Skip to content Skip to navigation
Resources and Information on COVID-19 Ask a Question

UCM Departments


Due to the COVID-19 situation, our main office (KL-101) is closed until further notice, but we remain available remotely, M-F 8:00-5:00, to answer questions and provide remote advising and other services. We are also available to address any emergencies.

 Employment-based visas: Becky Mirza (; 209-355-0913)

J-1 scholar visas: Rico Johnson (; 209-355-1018)

Student (F-1, J-1) visas: Lacey Long-Vejar (; 209-259-8913)

ISS-related emergencies: Becky Mirza (209-355-0913)

Other queries & concerns: Garett Gietzen (; 209-285-9780)

Choosing a Visa

Office of International Affairs staff will work with other departments to determine which immigration status works best given a particular appointment and individual coming to UC Merced. Departments are encouraged to consult with OIA before committing to hiring an individual who is not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. OIA is available to talk with the candidate (either in person, if the candidate is on campus, or by phone or email) to make sure the immigration status selected best suits the scholar’s immediate needs and plans.

This comparison chart of employment-based visas may assist you in making an initial visa determination.

Download the the Recharge Fee structure for OIA visa services


Fee Type Amount Notes

F-1 Students: The status is the most common status used by international students in the United States and at UC Merced.

J-1 undergraduate researcher: This status is generally for non-degree seeking students studying or carrying out a research project at UC Merced.

J-1 Scholars: This status is mainly used for visiting foreign professors and researchers at UC Merced.

H-1B  Employees: H-1B non-immigrant employment status permits temporary employment in 'specialty occupations'.

Permanent Residents: This status is reserved for faculty and staff at UC Merced that have been offered permanent positions.

Other Visas: This section provides a brief discussion of several non-UC Merced sponsored visas.