Skip to content Skip to navigation
See our Campus Ready site for the most up to date information about instruction.Campus ReadyCOVID Help
UC Merced International

International Postdoctoral Scholars

An international Postdoctoral Scholar at UC Merced can be sponosred by three different visa types. An F-1 student visa using approved post-completion Optional Practical Training (OPT), a J-1 exchange visitor visa or an H-1B visa. No matter which visa a Postdoctoral Scholar is sponsored for by UC Merced, the employment authorization is like a contract. There are Department of Homeland Security and UC Merced regulations/policies the Postodoctoral Scholar must adhere to in order to maintain their visa status.

UC Merced sponsored F visa holders on post-completion OPT must adhere to the reporting guidance on our OPT web page or STEM OPT web page.

UC Merced sponosred J visa holders must adhere to guidance on our J visa web page.

UC Merced sponosred H-1B visa holders must adhere to the guidance as signed on the attestation upon receiving the original approval notice as well as the guidance on our H-1B web page.

Further information for Postdoctoral Scholars can be found on the Graduate Division's Web Page for Postdocs.