Skip to content Skip to navigation
See our Campus Ready site for the most up to date information about instruction.Campus ReadyCOVID Help
UC Merced International

J-1 Extensions

Extension of J-1 Status

To request an extension of stay for a J-1 scholar up to the maximum period allowable under the regulations, the scholars school or unit must initiate the extension request at least 2 months prior to the end of the current status (end date noted on current Form DS-2019). An extension cannot be done after the current end date on a Form DS-2019 has passed.

To request an extension for an eligible J-1 scholar scholar, the hosting department must complete the following documents and submit to OIA. This process is almost idential to the intial J-1 status request process.

UCM Request for J-1 Services
J-1 Biographical Information Form
J-2 Dependent Information Form
Visa Services Recharge Form
Every type of request has different supporting documents that are required to be submitted with the request. 

Once the extension has been granted and a new DS-2019 has been issued, OIA will contact the scholar to pick up renewed documents from the International Center. The school/ unit administrators may request proof of extension (new Form DS-2019) from the scholar directly or OIA.