Skip to content Skip to navigation
See our Campus Ready site for the most up to date information about instruction.Campus ReadyCOVID Help
UC Merced International

Prospective F-1 Students

If a visa is required for you to reside and study in the United States, you are an international student applicant. If you are U.S. citizen, legal permanent resident, refugee or asylee, you are considered a domestic applicant.

If you are interested in applying to the UC Merced as either a freshman, a transfer student (transferring from another college or university within the U.S.) or as a graduate student (a student pursuing a master's or doctorate degree) but have not yet applied, you are considered a prospective student. Every full-time degree international student admitted to UC Merced is eligible for the F-1 student visa. The majority of UC Merced international students hold this F-1 student visa non-immigrant status.

To obtain more information or apply to UC Merced, visit the Admissions website for International Students.

Prospective graduate students seeking a master's or doctorate can visit the Graduate Division website for admission information.

For more information about the cost of attendance, visit

For more information on the International Student Scholarship, visit

For information on how to apply for your student visa following admission to UC Merced, visit How to Apply for Your Visa.

Frequently Asked Questions

Following admission to UC Merced, students will request the Form I-20 Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant F-1 Students from the UC Merced Office of International Affairs (OIA). Students will use the Form I-20 to apply for an F-1 student visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate. For further instruction, visit OIA's web page for Newly Admitted Students. As a student at UC Merced, the International Students and Scholars Office within OIA will be your main resource for visa and immigration matters.