Skip to content

Professors & Researchers

Choosing a Visa

Office of International Affairs staff will work with departments to determine which immigration status works best given a particular appointment and individual coming to UC Merced. Departments are encouraged to consult with OIA prior to making a commitment to hire an individual who is not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. OIA is available to talk with the candidate (either in person, if the candidate is on campus, or by phone or email) to make sure the immigration status selected best suits the scholar’s immediate needs and future plans.

This comparison chart of employment-based visas may assist you in making an initial visa determination.

J-1 Scholars: This is the most common status used for visiting international scholars and researchers at UC Merced. H-1B  Employees: The H‑1B nonimmigrant status permits temporary employment in "Specialty Occupations."
Permanent Residents: This status is reserved for international faculty and staff who have been offered permanent positions at UC Merced. Other Visas: This section provides a brief discussion of several non-UC Merced sponsored visas.