Skip to content Skip to navigation
See our Campus Ready site for the most up to date information about instruction.Campus ReadyCOVID Help
UC Merced International

Off Campus Payment/Reimbursement Authorization

Off-Campus Payment / Reimbursement Authorization: J-1 Exchange Visitors

Any off-campus payment or reimbursement for occasional lectures or consultations must be pre-approved by an advisor at Office of International Affairs before accepting payment of the proposed activity.

Professors, Research Scholars and Short-Term Scholar participants in the (J-1) Exchange Visitor Program are allowed to receive payment for occasional lectures or consultations off-campus if prior written authorization is given by an International Scholar Adviser/Alternate Responsible Officer at UC Merced before accepting such payment. With prior written authorization and notation in SEVIS, a scholar may be compensated, paid, or reimbursed for occasional off-campus lectures, consultations, or seminars. Receiving unauthorized payment is a violation of J-1 status. Follow the instructions below if you will be engaged in such activity.


J regulations require that the occasional lectures or short-term consultations must:

  • be directly related to the objectives of the J-1 Exchange Visitor's program;
  • be incidental to the J-1 Exchange Visitor's primary program activities;
  • not delay the completion date of the J-1 Exchange Visitor's program; and
  • be documented in SEVIS.
  • Must be occasional in nature. ‘Occasional embodies the concept of single events rather than an ongoing activity.
  • If not a reimbursement, must be paid as an independent contractor
  • If reimbursement, no need to be paid as independent contractor

Application Instructions

Follow the steps below at least 10 working days prior to your proposed compensated activity. Receiving unauthorized payment is a violation of J-1 status.

Please allow 10 business days to receive your letter of authorization. You may pick it up or have it mailed to you.