Skip to content

Other Visas

The Office of International Affairs advises on matters related to F-student visas, J-student and scholar visas, H-employment based scholar visas and permanent residency. Below is information on other visa types:

TN Visa

TN visa status allows citizens of Canada and Mexico to engage in professional business activities in the U.S. on a temporary basis for up to three years. TN visas may be extended for periods up to three years at a time. The TN visa is employer specific. A contract or letter of employment in the U.S. and documentation verifying the minimum education and/or work experience is required for the TN visa. Dependents of TN holders are eligible for TD visa status. TD visa holders are not eligible to work in the U.S. For more information click here.

O-1 Visa

The O-1 visa is for people with extraordinary ability or achievement in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics or who have recognized extraordinary achievement in the motion picture and television fields, demonstrated by sustained national or international acclaim to work in their field of expertise. For more information click here.

B Visa/Visa Waiver Program

Visitor visas are nonimmigrant visas for persons who want to enter the United States temporarily for business (visa category B-1), tourism, pleasure or visiting (visa category B-2), or a combination of both purposes (B-1/B-2). These visitor visas are not UC Merced sponsored visas.

The B visitor visa is ideal for non-U.S. citizen family members wishing to visit their UC Merced student or to attend their commencement ceremony. The student or UC Merced department can use one of these sample invitation letters: sample letter #1 written by student or sample letter #2 written by departmentThe family member can take the letter to their visa appointment interview to support their visitor visa application.

The B visitor visa status has limitations and in most cases is not appropriate for visitors invited to UC Merced. If the university benefits from the visitor's visit and/or any research activity is undertaken, that might result in published work, patent or discovery at a later date or if the visitor is in a structured study/research program, the B visa is not appropriate and will contradict U.S. Department of State visa guidelines. 

In rare cases where the visitor is invited to UC Merced as a speaker or to attend a meeting, interview, conference or workshop for a short duration, a B-1 visa may be an option. Contact the Academic Personnel Office or Business and Financial Services to learn about the strict payment restrictions and limitations with B visa visitors. UCOP has further information on paying B visa holders. Click here.