Skip to content

Undergraduate Researchers

J-1 Non-Degree Undergraduate Student Researcher

UC Merced faculty who wish to host a visiting undergraduate student researcher to engage in a prescribed non-degree academic program with a specific educational objective should select the J-1 Non-Degree Student category when submitting the Request for J-1 Exchange Visitor Form to the International Students & Scholars Office in the Office of International Affairs. A UC Merced classification or appointment title must be assigned by the Academic Personnel Office (APO). The J-1 Non-Degree Undergraduate Student category is appropriate for visiting undergraduate researchers who meet the following criteria:

  • The visiting student will engage in a prescribed course of study that equates to a full-time work load (Must be confirmed in an invitation letter from the faculty member and in the appointment letter)
  • Students must have a "substantial" portion (at least 51%) of their funding coming from a source other than personal funding
  • Programs must be for a minimum of 3 weeks

Additional information and documents necessary to issue form DS-2019 for undergraduate researchers please visit the J-1 scholar area -

Below is a list of documents that are necessary to begin the process.

  • Request for J-1 Exchange Visitor Form
  • Biographical Information Form
  • Letter from faculty member (Template)
  • Copy of Research Appointment Request Form
  • Recharge Form
  • Letter of Appointment
  • Copy of Passport
  • Copies of previous DS-2019s
  • Current Curriculum Vitae
  • Proof of Funding
  • Certificate of English Language Proficiency

Forms can be downloaded from above link -