Skip to content Skip to navigation
See our Campus Ready site for most up to date information about the fall semester.Campus ReadyCOVID Help
UC Merced International

Leaving UC Merced

Please review the following checklist prior to departure from UC Merced. Your department will provide guidance on the university procedures for employment termination and departure.

Notify department supervisor and department administrator of your planned departure. Provide them with a forwarding address.

Notify the OIA as soon as your termination is confirmed.

IMPORTANT: H-1B Status automatically terminates upon termination of employment. Government regulations require that OIA notify the U.S. Department of Labor and USCIS of the termination of H-1B employment if the termination date is prior to the end date noted on the H-1B approval notice (Form I-797). 

Keep all original immigration documents as a record of your visa status during your U.S. stay.


If Remaining in the United States

Individuals intending to remain in the United States after leaving UC Merced should take the initiative to prepare and submit proper paperwork to maintain lawful immigration status. This may involve applying for H-1B Status with another employer.


If Moving Outside of the United States

Immigration reminders:

Scholars in H-1B Status are required to leave the United States on or before the end date on their Form I-94.

Scholars admitted to the United States in H-1B status may be given a grace period of 10 days. This is at the discretion of the immigration officer at the point of entry. This grace period will be noted on the I-94 card or stamp on your passport. 

General reminders:


Donate or Sell Your Stuff
If you have household items to pass on, donate them to friends or local charities, give them away on Free Cycle (, or sell them on

Notify Utility Companies
Be sure to tell the utility companies (gas, electricity, water, phone) about your departure. Ask if you can pay the bills before you leave. If you will be getting a return on any of your deposits, make arrangements to receive the money.

Settle accounts with businesses, publications, insurance companies, credit cards, etc.

Close your bank account and purchase traveler’s checks if you will need them.


Notify your landlord of your departure date (refer to your lease as to how much notice you need to give). Be sure to check about any necessary procedures that may be required of you before you leave. Return your keys, and in writing, leave a forwarding address and request the return of your security deposit.

Consult your country's embassy to determine what customs regulations you will need to consider when taking or shipping your belongings home.


Obtain passports for all U.S. born children (it can take up to eight weeks). Contact the U.S. Department of State Passport services at