Skip to content

H-1B Extensions

An H-1B extension is possible if an employee is seeking to remain in the same job for a longer period. Extensions are normally granted for a cumulative total of six years (with a few exceptions for more time) as long as the application is received by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) before the expiration of the current H-1B Status.

Foreign nationals currently employed at UC Merced in H-1B Status who plan to remain at UC Merced in the same position are responsible for contacting their department administrator to begin an extension at least six months before the end date of their current H-1B status. In H-1B processing, each application — including extensions — repeats all steps of the H-1B process each time beginning with obtaining a Department of Labor (DOL) prevailing wage. Only after OIA has completed the DOL process is it possible to file the H-1B extension with USCIS. Currently, there is no expedited “Premium Processing” for the DOL part of the process.

H-1B Extension Instructions

Complete the following forms below

Note: the documents required for an H-1B extension is almost identical to the process of requesting initial H-1B Status.

H-1B Questionnaire for UC Merced Schools and Units
H-1B Questionnaire for Foreign National
I-129 Export Control Compliance Certification
Prevailing Working Conditions Attestation - Sample
Sample Letter - Request to Pay Outside Counsel
Actual Wage Attestation Statement - Sample (complete only if no Salary Justification Memo is available)
Visa Service Recharge Form

Reference Documents for UC Merced Departments

  Immigration Attorney Visa Services Fee Schedule for UC Merced
  OIA Visa Services Fee Chart
  USCIS Application Filing Fees

After the Application is Submitted to USCIS

If the extension application is filed with USCIS promptly (before the expiration of the current H-1B status), then the scholar does not have to wait for USCIS H-1B approval notice. With timely filed H-1B extensions the scholar is authorized to continue to work and be paid for up to 240 days after the expiration of his/her current H-1B status. Therefore, in most cases “Premium Processing” is only necessary if the H-1B scholar will be traveling outside the U.S.