Skip to content

Maintaining Legal Status

Maintaining Your Legal Status

It is important that you maintain lawful F-1 or J-1 visa status while in the U.S. as a student. Follow these simple steps to ensure your stay in the U.S. remains valid:

Check in with the International Office in KL 101 and attend the International Student Orientation that provides required information on your visa regulations.
Report a change of address to the International Student and Scholar's Office (ISS) within 10 days of moving by updating your address in the Student Portal.
Keep your passport valid at least six months into the future.

Maintain full-time study. Undergraduate and graduate students must be registered in a minimum of 12 units. Only one online course per semester.

There are some exceptions to the full-time study rule, but authorization must be obtained from ISSO prior to reducing the course load.

Report any name or program changes to ISS.
Do not engage in any unlawful employment. Off-campus employment requires appropriate authorization before you can work off-campus.
Initiate a timely departure, transfer, or change of status during grace period.