Skip to content Skip to navigation
UC Merced International

Extension to Degree Program

Extensions to Program

The Department of Homeland Security regulation 8 CFR 214.2(f)(7)(iii) permits a program extension for an F-1 student who is unable to meet the program completion date on the Form I-20. The Designated School Official (DSO) certifies that the student has continually maintained status and that the delays are caused by compelling academic or medical reasons, such as changes of major or research topics, unexpected research problems, or documented illnesses. The length of the extension (no more than one year) is based on the recommendation from the student's academic/faculty advisor.

To request an extension

  • Inform your International Student Advisor at the Office of International Affairs (OIA).
  • Complete the Request for Program Extension Form and have your academic advisor sign and complete the section stating the compelling academic or medical reasons why you were not able to complete your degree within the average degree completion time.
  • Turn in the Request for Program Extension Form to OIA at least two weeks before the expiration date, but no earlier than the semester it will expire. If your request for an extension is approved, a new I-20 will be ready for you in three business days.