J-1 Scholar Check-In Process
1. Scholar Arrival to U.S.
a. Scholar arrives up to 30 days before official program date.
b. Finds housing/settles into Merced.
c. Purchases health insurance, if not receiving UC benefits.
2. Sponsoring School
a. Scholar checks in with faculty supervisor/school on program begin date.
b. School provides new employee orientation, email address, access to workplace.
3. Academic Personnel/Human Resources/Payroll
a. Scholar completes New Hire paperwork on program start date;
b. If eligible, scholar enroll in benefits during enrollment period.
4. Office of International Affairs
a. Visa Orientation and Check in within 2 weeks of Program Begin Date;
b. Health Insurance is verified;
c. International Scholar Advisor validates record in SEVIS;
Office of International Affairs Check In
The Office of International Affairs holds J-1 Scholar check ins every other Friday. See the schedule below.
Please email email@example.com to notify us which check-in meeting you will be attending.
Bring the following items to the meeting:
1. Passport(s) for you and your family.
2. DS-2019(s) for you and your family.
3. A completed Check-In Form.
4. Proof of health insurance for you and your family.
5. The Form I-94 for you and your family. As of May 2013, this form has been automated and can be retrieved online: https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/recent-search.
6. Please read and sign a copy of the J-1 Exchange Visitors Responsibility Agreement.
7. If bringing a spouse, bring the $550 dependent fee (not applicable for children). Acceptable payment methods are cash, check and money order.
Scholars Fall Check-In Schedule: