Skip to content Skip to navigation
UC Merced International

J-1 Off-Campus Payment/Reimbursement Authorization

Per U.S. Department of State regulations, Professors, Research Scholars and Short-Term Scholar participants in the (J-1) Exchange Visitor Program are only allowed to receive payment as specifically noted on their Form DS-2019 unless given prior written authorization by an International Scholar Adviser/Alternate Responsible Officer before accepting such payment. With this prior written authorization, a scholar may be compensated, paid, or reimbursed for occasional off-campus lectures, consultations, or seminars.

Any off-campus payment or reimbursement for occasional lectures or consultations must be pre-approved by an advisor at the UC Merced Office of International Affairs before accepting payment of the proposed activity.

Scholars sponsored by Fulbright, or other Exchange Programs must contact their program sponsor for specific information and instructions.


J-1 Regulations require that the occasional lectures or short-term consultations must:

  • Be directly related to the objectives of the J-1 Exchange Visitor's Program;
  • Be incidental to the J-1 Exchange Visitor's primary program activities;
  • not delay the completion date of the J-1 Exchange Visitor's program; and
  • be documented in SEVIS.
  • Note: If wages or other remuneration are received by the Exchange Visitor for occasional lectures or consultations, the Exchange Visitor must act as an independent contractor for I-9 purposes.

Submit the Following to OIA:

  1. Completed "Off-Campus Payment Authroization" request form with sponsoring faculty certifiying signature
  2. Most Recent I-94
  3. Most Recent DS-2019
  4. Offer or invitation letter from prospective employer/organization which includes the following information:
    1. Description of the Activity
    2. Field or Subject
    3. Duration of the activity
    4. Total number of hours scheduled to work per week or month
    5. amount of compensation
    6. location of activity

Submit these documents to the Office of International Affairs via e-mail: or in person at the UC Merced campus Kolligan Library Room #101.