J-1 Researchers

All international exchange visitors to UC Merced must be invited by an academic school and have an official UC Merced appointment. Once UC Merced has offered the visitor a position, the academic school will request a Form DS-2019, Certificate of Eligibility, from the Office of International Affairs. The Form DS-2019 is a required document to apply for a J-1 Visa at a U.S. Consulate or Embassy abroad.

UC Merced currently sponsors exchange visitors who are coming to UC Merced to participate in paid and unpaid positions performing research, lecturing (non-tenure track), or providing their expertise. Depending on the length of the UC Merced title and the possibility of extension of the appointment, an exchange visitor may come in as a J-1 non-degree seeking students, specialist, short term scholar, research scholarprofessor or visiting undergradaute researcher in the non-degree student category.

In order to issue a DS-2019, the Office of International Affairs is required to confirm that each J-1 visitor will have funding to support their visit to the U.S. View information on OIA funding requirements here

In order to become a J-1 exchange visitor in the United States, you must have sufficient English language competency. There is more informaiton on the English Language requirement here.  


Pre-Arrival Information

Pre-Arrival Check-List Health Insurance Requirement
Paying the SEVIS Fee & Applying for a Visa Dependent Information
Check-in Process Travel Information

J-1 Visa Regulations

Maintaining J Status Address Changes
Extending your program Program Transfers
Two-Year Home Residency Requirement 12- and 24-Month Bars
Cultural Programing Obtaining a SSN