You will encounter a number of expenses when you first arrive in the U.S. Some likely costs include transportation from the airport, a hotel stay while you search for more permanent housing, meals out, a deposit on a rental unit, first and last month's rent, furnishings, etc.
U.S. Currency and Banking
U.S. paper currency is the same size and color for all values. Cash is available in denominations, $1, $5, $10, $20, $50 and $100 bills. U.S. currency is based on the decimal systems, with 100 cents per dollar. Coin currency is available in $.01, $.05, $.10, $.25 and $1.
You should arrive with some U.S. currency for any immediate needs upon arrival. There are currency exchange services available in most international airports, but not in Merced (you may be able to exchange some currency at a local bank).
- Traveller's Checks - have them issued in U.S. dollars, large denominations are harder to use.
- ATM/Debit Card - make sure you are aware of your bank's fees/charges and restrictions on using your card in U.S. ATMs; alert your bank as to your travel plans.
- Credit Card - check for fees and restrictions, be sure sure to alert your credit card company of when and where you will be travelling.
- Bank Check/Draft - useful for transferring a large sum of money, but can take up to a few weeks to become available.
- Wire transfer - safe and available quickly, but a U.S. bank account must be opened first.
Even if the international student/scholar is not paid in the U.S., there may be some U.S. tax forms that should be completed each year. The UC Merced International Students and Scholars office does not answer any U.S. tax questions. There are; however, general handouts on U.S. taxes, and UC Merced's Business and Financial Services office does offer tax workshops at least once a year. For questions about tax questions and other tax treaties, the International Student/Scholar should contact UC Merced's tax services. You can email the tax services department firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Professors & Researchers
- UC Merced Departments
- About Us