Skip to content Skip to navigation
UC Merced International


J-2 Dependent Status for Spouse & Children

The spouse and dependent children of the J-1 Exchange Visitor are eligible for J-2 status and may use this status to accompany the J-1 individual to the United States. To be eligible for J-2, children must be unmarried and not over the age of 21. No other family members are eligible for J-2 status.

Applying for J-2 Status

Each person in J-2 status must have his or her DS-2019. If the spouse and/or dependent child will accompany the J-1 Scholar, this information must be conveyed by the host department at the time of requesting the initial DS-2019 Form. If the spouse and/or dependent child will join the scholar in the U.S., the scholar can request the DS-2019 from OIA.

With the DS-2019, the J-2 dependent may apply for a J-2 Visa at the U.S. Consulate.

Support Minimums

Spouse - $500/ Month
Child- $300/ Month

J-1/J-2 Health Insurance Requirement

All Exchange Visitors (J-1) and their J-2 dependents are required to maintain health and accident insurance coverage during the entire time they participate in an Exchange Visitor program. See Health Insurance Requirement for more information.