Skip to content Skip to navigation
Resources and Information on COVID-19 Ask a Question

Summer Session


Due to the COVID-19 situation, our main office (KL-101) is closed until further notice, but we remain available remotely, M-F 8:00-5:00, to answer questions and provide remote advising and other services. We are also available to address any emergencies.

 Employment-based visas: Becky Mirza (; 209-355-0913)

J-1 scholar visas: Rico Johnson (; 209-355-1018)

Student (F-1, J-1) visas: Lacey Long-Vejar (; 209-259-8913)

ISS-related emergencies: Becky Mirza (209-355-0913)

Other queries & concerns: Garett Gietzen (; 209-285-9780)

Admission and Registration for Summer Session

New international students interested in applying for the Summer Session at UC Merced must first apply on the Summer Session website as a non-UC student unless you are currently a student at UC Merced or a student at any other UC campus. A student located outside of the U.S. will need to obtain a student visa. The visa process can take several weeks so early admission and timely visa appointments at the U.S. embassy or consulate will be required. Following admission for Summer Session, international students must request a Form I-20 from the International Students and Scholar's Office by completing the Request for Form I-20. You must also show sufficient financial support. Please review further information listed below.

Current F-1 visa students in the U.S. do not need to obtain an additional or separate F-1 visa to register for UC Merced's Summer Session if they are in valid F-1 visa status and intend on continuing their studies in the fall semester at the school listed on their Form I-20. The student will need to obtain permission to attend UC Merced's Summer Session from their current school.

International students must show sufficient proof of funding to cover the estimated expenses listed below along with your International Student Supplemental Form. 

Undergraduate Estimated Costs for Summer Sessions
  Six-Week Session Eight-Week Session
Estimated Tuition and Fees $ 2,817 $ 2,817
Estimated Living Expenses $ 1,986 $ 2,648
Health insurance, Books & Supplies $    270 $    360
TOTAL $ 5,073 $ 5,825


Graduate Estimated Costs for Summer Sessions
  Six-Week Session Eight-Week Session
Estimated Tuition and Fees $ 3,304 $ 3,304
Estimated Living Expenses $ 1,986 $ 2,648
Health insurance, Books & Supplies $    270 $    360
TOTAL $ 5,560 $ 6,312

International Student Visa Fee is $100 for F-1 visas sponsored by UC Merced. Checks made payable to "UC Regents" must be submitted to the International Center in the Kolligian Library, Room 101.

F-1 Visa Application 

Once a completed Summer Session application and the International Student Supplemental Form is submitted to International Student and Scholar Services, the student will be issued a Form I-20 by UC Merced. Students must use this form to apply for an F-1 student visa at their local U.S. embassy or consulate. To apply for the F-1 visa, international students must first pay the SEVIS fee. Read all requirements and pay at at least three days before a visa interview.

Students from Canada must pay the SEVIS fee and have it recorded before arriving at a U.S. Port of Entry and carry a paper copy of the receipt. Canadian students must keep their Form I-20 with them when they enter the U.S. and keep it throughout their stay at UC Merced.

English Proficiency

UC Merced requires one of the following proficiency exams from all international freshman applicants whose native language is not English:

Be sure to send a hard copy of your language test report directly to Office of International Affairs, University of California, Merced,  5200 N. Lake Road, Merced, CA 95343.

Full-time Status

International students holding F-1 visas must be enrolled in a minimum six units per six-week or eight-week session.


See Summer Session Costs and Fees for payment dates and deadlines.

Deadlines to Apply

Be sure to review the web page for Summer Session deadlines by clicking here.