Skip to content Skip to navigation

J-1 Check-in and Orientation

April 6, 2018 - 10:00am to 11:30pm

We will meet at 10am at the International Center; KL 101. 

In this orientation, we will cover important information regarding J-1 regulations and policies.  Please send Rico Johnson an email at to let him know you will be attending or if you have any questions. 

What to bring:

o Passport (and for any J-2 dependents)

o Visa (will be inside your passport)(and for any J-2 dependents)

o Current DS-2019 (and for any J-2 dependents)

o I-94 record – You can obtain this by going to and entering your passport and arrival information.

o Health Insurance information – Select that which Applies to you.  J-2 dependents require health insurance as well.

o  Postdoctoral Scholars – Please consult with your school administrator to ensure that you are enrolled in postdoc health insurance plan. This plan covers all J-1 health insurance requirements.

o  Other UC Merced Paid Scholars - It is likely that you will be eligible UC Merced benefits. Consult with your school administrator to ensure you are enrolled in UC Merced Full or Mid-Level benefits (not CORE).

UC Merced benefits do not cover the “medical evacuation and repatriation of remains” that is required by the U.S. Department of State. You will have to purchase a separate policy for this. You can print the University of California approved plan from .  You can mail the application and payment to the address listed in the instructions.

o  Scholars NOT paid by UC Merced – Health Insurance can be purchased from Garnett-Powers. If you’ve purchased a plan from a different provider, or have health insurance from your home country that will cover you during your stay, you can apply for a waiver from Garnett & Powers. To enroll in Garnett & Powers, or to waive their coverage, go to:

o  Enroll in Garnett & Powers coverage

o  Waive Garnett & Powers Coverage

o Completed and signed J-1 check-in form.

o Signed J-1 Exchanged Visitor Responsibility Contract.

o J-2 dependent fee (if applicable). $550, cash or check made payable to “UC Regents”

If you have not already done so, contact your school administrator to check-in and complete your new hire paperwork.   

Contact Information

Rico Johnson
International Scholar Visa Specialist